The documentary charts the mass exodus of 7 million Irish men and women from the famine-swept villages of 19th century Ireland to the industrialized cities of America. Narrated by Kelly McGillis, this poignant and the elegant production personalizes the transatlantic journey by focusing on the lives of eight specific immigrants. Letters they wrote home to Ireland describing their experiences in America are read by Liam Neeson, Gabriel Byrne and Aiden Quinn. Originally broadcast on PBS, this show is now recognized as the classic recounting of Irish Immigration to America. The accompanying CD features many of America’s most famous Irish musicians Seamus Egan, Mick Moloney, Eileen Ivers and many more creating a beautiful musical tapestry to compliment the epic story of Irish immigration to America.
USA, 1995, B&W/Color, 95 minutes.
The accompanying CD features many of America’s most famous Irish musicians Seamus Egan, Mick Moloney, Eileen Ivers and many more creating a beautiful musical tapestry to compliment the epic story of Irish immigration to America.
- Timothy Cashman Theme (The Bogs of Shanaheever/The Carraroe Jig)
- Devereux Brothers Theme (The Old Foggy Dew/The Rattling Boys of Bally)
- Optimism Theme (North Amerikay)
- Mary Rush Theme (An Drimin Donn Dilis The Dear Brown Cow)
- T. Mcintyre Theme (The Pretty Girls of Mayo)
- William Murphy Theme (Fig for a Kiss)
- Discimination Theme (The Rights of Man)
- Richard O'Gorman Theme (The Men of the West/The Bold Fenian Men)
- Mary Ann Row Theme (Low Back'd Car/Believe Me If All These Endearing)
- Tom Brick Theme (The Farewell Reel/The Wind That Shakes the Barley)
- Religion Theme (The Tidy Woman/Faith of Our Fathers)
- Tim O'Brien Theme (The Doon Reel/The Old Thatched Cabin)
- Closing Credits (Speed the Plough/The Four Courts)
The 32 page booklet features selections from the book, Out Of Ireland, including very moving letter written home to Ireland & many beautiful photographs.
NTSC Region 0 encoding (Entire World)