Triumph of the Will (Triumph Des Willens)(Leni Riefenstahl, 1935)
Deluxe Remastered Edition DVD
Banned for more than 30 years, Triumph of the Will by Leni Riefenstahl generated perhaps the greatest moral and legal controversy in the history of cinema. It is now available, complete and uncut from International Historic Films. The subject of the film is the 1934 Nazi Party convention. Staged annually at Nuremburg, the convention was a series of speeches by Nazi leaders, reviews of their uniformed followers, and mass rallies involving thousands of people. Although Riefenstahl's work has been labeled a Nazi propaganda film, it is actually the filming of a propaganda subject by a non-Nazi, a woman whose appointment by Hitler to make the film was resented by the propagandists in the Nazi hierarchy. The result is a fascinating expression of one individual's impression of the Hitler movement. Riefenstahl's film pioneered many dramatic techniques of film direction and editing which have effectively translated to the screen all the paganistic joy, the unrestrained emotion, and the awesome power which characterized the Nazi rallies. The complete dominance of one man's personality throughout the film, as well as over an entire nation, is more forcefully conveyed to the viewer's awareness in Triumph of the Will than in any other film or book about the Third Reich in existence. Even today, Triumph of the Will is considered a masterpiece - an extraordinary blend of inspired art, direction, and cinematography.
Germany, 1935, B&W, 110 minutes. Directed by Leni Riefenstahl. German dialogue with switchable English and Spanish subtitles.
DVD SPECIAL FEATURES
Four Interactive DVD Slideshows:
- Historical Background; Making of the Film; Personalities and Locations.
- SA Historical Background.
- Original Promotional Materials and Media Articles with Interactive English Translations.
- Original Third Reich Photo Book: "NURNBERG 1934" on the Reich's Party Convention. Digital Audio/Visual Book with English Narration. [9 Min.]
Two Bonus Shorts:
Other DVD Features:
- DAY OF FREEDOM: OUR ARMED FORCES (Tag Der Freiheit: Unsere Wehrmacht), Leni Riefenstahl's complement to Triumph of the Will. NOW COMPLETE AND UNCUT! Restored with a recently discovered 10 minute middle reel, which includes, according to Riefenstahl, one of her best filmed Hitler speeches. [26 Minutes].
- GENESIS OF TRIUMPH, A new IHF featurette overview of the events leading to Hitler taking power and the significance of the Nuremberg Party Convention. A comprehensive look at precisely what takes place in Triumph of the Will, including novel facts about Riefenstahl's film editing. [23 Minutes].
- Interactive Scene Selection
- Switchable English and Spanish Subtitles
- Digitally Restored from Original 35mm Film Elements using daVinci Revival tm Technology.
- Optimal DVD-9 Dual Layer Edition
NTSC Region 0 encoding (Entire World)
Available For Immediate Shipment
Libraries and Institutions Please Note: Educational Editions with PUBLIC PERFORMANCE RIGHTS and DIGITAL SITE LICENSES are available.
See also Behind The Scenes (Book), and Triumph of the Will DVD/Book Set: K66 Special Savings Offer